Sunday, August 10, 2014

Saturday Night Fun Elementary School Memories


Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!): 
1) It's almost time for the new school year to start in the Northern hemisphere, and for most children that meant a new grade, a new teacher, and perhaps new friends.

2)  Tell us about some of your elementary school memories when you were a child.  What are your memories of starting school in a new year?  Who were your teachers?  How did you get to school?  Who were your best friends?  What subjects did you like best?  What extra-curricular activities did you participate in?  Make up your own questions if you'd like!


Well I went 6 grades at Whitman Elementary School, the year I was to start kindergarten our local school district eliminated kindergarten. They had too few classrooms and too few teachers so my parents and one neighbor that had a son the same age as me found a kindergarten at the church at Post and Wellesley.   Whitman school was two blocks north of home, downhill to the street the school was on , but the school was on a hill on the block, so actually higher than our house, so I walked to school.
I liked reading, math, science and social studies. The only teachers I remember are Mr. Meili and Mr. Anderson. Mr. Meili taught 5th grade but I was not in his 5th grade class, but he also taught a health class to the 5th grade boys and the girls got a separate class with one of the female teachers. We also had lunch in Mr. Meili's room if you brought your own lunch. Mr. Anderson was my 6th grade teacher.
I was smaller than most of my classmates so did not do any sports that required a big person, kind of liked softball till I got beaned in the eye.

In 1981 the old Whitman Elementary School was demolished and they built a new building. They said the old building was a fire hazard, but the old building was concrete with a brick on the outside, so it would never have caught fire, but the wiring was 1930s vintage and so that really needed an upgrade. The picture below is the addition they did to the old building and my first grade class was in the room with the big hole where the windows used to be. There was four first grades there two on ground floor and two on second floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails