Sunday, February 16, 2014

Saturday Night Fun Memories


Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1)  Judy Russell asked six questions in her Keynote address at RootsTech to determine if audience members knew certain family stories about their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.  She demonstrated very well that family stories are lost within three generations if they are not recorded and passed on to later generations.

2)  This week, I want you to answer Judy's six questions, but about YOUR own life story, not your ancestors.  Here are the questions:

a)  What was your first illness as a child?

b)  What was the first funeral you attended?

c)  What was your favorite book as a child?

d)  What was your favorite class in elementary school?

e)  What was your favorite toy as a child?

f)  Did you learn how to swim, and where did you learn?

a) Well I don't remember my first illness, I have an older sister and she brought home all the childhood illnesses when she was in kindergarten so I would have been about 3 years old when I got the measles, mumps, chicken pox, and the flu. Because of this I got an award for perfect attendance in grade school at the end of sixth grade, as did a few other classmates.

b) I was taken to the funeral of my grandfather Charles Rupert Kelly a few months before my 6th birthday, I did not want to go, but my grandma wanted me to see him in his casket.

c) I read almost everything in sight after I learned to read, did not like fiction very well, but loved non fiction, travel books, etc.

d)  I was thinking of math class, but the example Randy used was a grade, so I guess 5th grade, as I learned a lot that year and had fun making life for a student teacher miserable.

e) I was given a Lionel train from my parents and really liked that, had about half the basement in trains on a couple of sheets of plywood. Still have the trains. Found out years later my dad worked on a cousins car on weekends so he could buy that train for me.

f) Well my mom was trained as a lifeguard and worked for a while at the Hillyard pool, I took lessons there at the Hillyard Pool, and also at the Red Cross swimming lessons at the resort on Twin Lakes in Idaho. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails