Sunday, March 24, 2013

Saturday Night Fun Surnames in my Database


Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!): 


1)  Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.

3)  Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries.  If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!  Or 10!


Well I am using Ancestral Quest and while I have never been a name collector, I just have 2070 names in the file. I could not see any way to sort by surname. so I don't have a clue how many surnames I have.

158 Hansen surnames, seems like my paternal line should have more since I have that line back to the 1600s, but because of patronymics  my Hansen surname is fairly recent. My great grandfather was Hans Mikkelsen and all his children were named Hansen or Son of Hans (even the daughters by the 1860s).
77 Dillingham my grandfather Hansen married a Dillingham and while that family is from England and back to the 1500s I have a separate Dillingham database so not a lot in my main database.
41 Soule, since the Dillinghams came to New England very early I have several Mayflower lines and George Soule is one of them.
37 Names  Yes the surname is Names and they intermarried with a bunch of my Hansen cousins.

Now to my moms side and this side has a lot of nationalities, but mainly Irish and Scotch
39 Travis my grandmothers surname
35 Forsyth(e) my great great grandfather
19 Kelly surnames 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails