Monday, October 10, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Favorite Teacher

Week #41 – Teachers

Week 41. Teachers. Did you have a favorite teacher when you were growing up? What class(es) did this person teach and why did he/she make an impact on your life?

This challenge runs from Saturday, October 8, 2011 through Friday, October 14, 2011
.

While I had many teachers in my twelve grades, I don't remember any of the early ones making an impact on me. Mr. Migaki in junior high was a great teacher even though a little unconventional at times, but Mr. Mabbott who taught US History in high school was the teacher that made the most impact on me. I was a good student that really did not apply myself a lot in school. Mr. Mabbott was the kind of teacher that really got the best out of everyone. His teaching did not require us to memorize dates, he said you will remember all the important dates, and if you need any other dates you will know where to look them up.
Towards the end of the school year there was a test of all the US History students to pick the top four for an interview with a local historical group. I did not remember the name, but now that I think about it, I think was one of the local DAR groups. Turned out there was eight of us picked, we scored so close that they could not pick the top four. Interesting interview and as a shy person I thought I did well, but they only picked one for the prize, Steve Jones. The rest of us just got honorable mention. Although there was at least three US History teachers, five of the eight came from Mr. Mabbott's classes. My love of history started there and it has served me well as a genealogist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails