Wednesday, August 3, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Grandparents Houses

Week #31 – Grandparents’ House

Week 31: Grandparents’ House. Describe your grandparents’ house. Was it big or small? How long did they live there? If you do not know this information, feel free to describe the house of another family member you remember from your childhood.

This first picture is my Hansen grandparents along with my two uncles Ralph & Leigh, and aunt Frances. My grandparents moved to Columbus Montana in 1910 and ran the creamery there for a few years. Anton then sold the creamery and bought the grain elevator. He also moved to this farm north of Columbus. Leigh was born in 1913 so I guess this picture was taken about 1918. I never saw inside this house, my dad did drive there a couple of times, and it looked really run down when I saw it.

This second picture is my Kelly grandparents house with my grandmother Cleo Kelly on the walk in front of her house. Charles and Cleo Kelly bought this house in 1924 and lived there all the rest of their lives. I inherited it in 1980 so I know a lot about this house. It is pretty small just over 600 square feet, but has a large living room and open to the dining room. The bedrooms are tiny especially the one on the ground floor. My mom said a real treat was watching thunder storms from the front porch. Across the street when she was young was an electric substation, and nearly every thunderstorm the lightning would hit the substation and the substation would light up like the Fourth of July fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails