Saturday, June 4, 2011

Saturday Night Fun If I Knew Then.....

Greetings, genea-philes. it's SATURDAY NIGHT - time for more GENEALOGY FUN!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) On GeneaBloggers Radio last night (www.blogtalkradio.com/geneabloggers/) the discussion turned to regrets that we all have about our genealogy and family history experiences. Someone said "If I knew then, what I know now, I would have..." I thought that it would make a good SNGF topic, and it may be a general topic on a future GeneaBloggers Radio show.

2) Tell us about your "If I knew then what I know now, I would have..." regret in a blog post


Well I have two, and they are sort of related, so here it goes: I started genealogy from a family reunion and one of my first cousins once removed sent a group sheet for our grandfathers and great grand parents and as part of the reunion we wanted to collect some information and put it in a book for those attending. We sent out in the reunion packets a blank group sheet and asked everyone to fill it in for their family, and parents and if possible grandparents, I got back 350 group sheets and I had a genealogy program called the Enhanced Family Tree, and it did a lot of interesting charts and forms so I picked a few and printed books from this program. That was the easy part, but later on we took a beginning genealogy course from our local genealogical society and learned about sources, I still have those group sheets but did not write on them who sent them, so I have many duplicated group sheets and quite a few with conflicting information, so most of my first 500 names in my genealogy database have no sources, some do from later information. So If I had known to record sources that would have been great. That is number one, number two was the Enhanced Family Tree program, it did not have GEDCOM, so later when I changed to Family Tree Journal for our next reunion, I got to go back and retype all the information in the Enhanced Family Tree program to input it into Family Tree Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails