Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Night Fun Popular Surnames

It's Saturday Night - time for more Genealogy Fun!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.

3) Tell us how many surnames, and if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!


Well my Ancestor Quest has a lot of surnames, but by far my surname Hansen is the most popular in my database. Hard to believe it started in Denmark in 1862 first son of Hans Mikkelsen was Hans Jorgen Hansen in 1862 older brother of my grandfather Anton Hansen. Hans had 10 children and 5 of the brothers came to Minnesota and had a lot of children and grandchildren.
top 5 Surnames

Three are from my dads family
Hansen 152 from 1862 to now
Dillingham 76 from 1593 to 1961 (my grandmother she married Anton Hansen)
Names 33 from 1868-1998 (they married several Hansens and so a lot of double cousins)

Two from my moms family
Travis 36 1862-1984 (moms mother was a Travis)
Forsyth 35 1718-1905 (moms great grandfather was a Forsyth)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails