Saturday, February 19, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Technology

Week #8 – Technology

Week 8: Technology. What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology to you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid?

Well I think the invention of the transistor was the technological advance that is most important while I was a child. Everyone in school soon had a transistor radio, we could listen to the World Series at school. Listen to the radio on the way to and from school.
We also transformed from listening to the radio to TV, Spokane had three stations and we watched as much as possible from Howdy Doody, to Mickey Mouse, to Disneyland, and of course the westerns like Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Gene Autrey, The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Have Gun will Travel, Wagon Train. We even watched the test pattern.
Then when the Russians launched Sputnik we were in a race to get a satellite into space, and eventually put men on the moon.
I guess the technology I like the most is the computer, I started in the mid 1980s with a Sanyo computer, and by the 1990s I was online at the Prodigy genealogy bulletin boards. I even hosted chats every other Tuesday.
So far I have almost avoided cell phones, I do have one for emergencies in my car, but it is not a smart phone, just is a cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails