Saturday, February 26, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Sounds

Week #9 – Sounds

Week 9: Sounds. Describe any sounds that take you back to your childhood. These could be familiar songs, jingles, children playing, or something entirely different.


Well a few old songs bring back my childhood, but I will go on a sound that is completely different. My dad was a mechanic and spent a lot of time in his garage working on something. He had a grinder, an air compressor, drills, saws, and an anvil he used for bending and pounding iron.

All of those had a distinctive sound, but the one that really brings back memories was his post drill, it actually was my grandfathers post drill and while my grandfather just used the handle to turn the drill, my dad added an electric motor and that is the sound I remember. There is a cam on the shaft with the handle and each turn of the crank causes that cam to lift the arm and on the top of the post drill turn the crank that lowers the drill one or two notches. You see the big flywheel on the other side which makes it easy to drill even hard metals, and very easy to drill wood. My dad took off the handle and ran a belt from the electric motor around the flywheel and so today I just turn on the motor and begin drilling. Notice all the gears are exposed, I know OSHA would have a real fit over lack of safety guards, but neither my grandfather nor my dad ever got hurt on any of the open gears, and I am very careful using it also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails